Spiced Oatmeal Pudding Bake. . . Christmas Morning Breakfast


Spiced Oatmeal Pudding Bake combines plain, old oatmeal with cottage cheese, milk, eggs and a little sugar and spice for a delightful change at breakfast. 
  
When children, my mother would insist we eat breakfast before we opened our presents that were luringly stacked under the Christmas tree.  We were allowed to open our stockings (during the wee hours of the morning) and eat the fruit but those brightly wrapped presents were taboo until a full, nourishing breakfast had been eaten.  How I hated eating breakfast on Christmas morning.  I don't even remember if we had anything special because I gulped down whatever was on my plate so I could get to my presents and the candy and chips in my stocking.  

When I ran across this recipe a few years ago I immediately thought of Christmas breakfast.  I no longer gulp down unwanted nurishment just to get to the presents and junk food.  I can certainly wait until I've eaten breakfast, if I wish, but I think if you are going to eat breakfast on Christmas morning it should be something special to go along with the day.  And this baked oatmeal pudding just fits the bill.  It looks like ordinary oatmeal porridge in the bowl but it tastes so scrummy you'll think you skipped over breakfast and went straight for dessert. 

If you asked me specifically where this recipe came from I can't tell you because I can't find it anymore.  It came from the internet but I've never been able to find it again after I'd copied it.  The original website has ceased to exist and even if I told you what it was it would be of no help as it was a site where recipes were collected from all over.  All I can tell you is I've had the recipe about 7 years which makes it almost a new one in my files.  Ha, ha.   

If you like raisins add then to the mixture just before baking.  When serving you may wish to mix up the cinnamon sugar for a little more sugar and spice with your holiday breakfast.


Spiced Oatmeal Pudding Bake
¾ cup dry oatmeal
1½ cups milk
2 cups cottage cheese, regular or low-fat
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
6 tablespoons sugar (use 8 tablespoons for a sweeter pudding)
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt

½ cup raisins, optional


Optional
¼ cup sugar
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
Milk or half-and-half for serving
Fresh or canned fruit for serving

In a small saucepan, bring the 1½ cups milk to a simmer.  Stir in the oatmeal.  Cook until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.  Lay aside to cool a few minutes.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Spray a 2 litre (about 8 cups) baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl, blend cooked oatmeal, cottage cheese, eggs, milk, sugar, spices and salt with a whisk or an electric mixer until smooth. This won't be smooth like a custard because, obviously, the oatmeal will still have its texture.  Add the raisins, if using.  Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and place in the preheated oven.   Bake for approximately 1 hour or until edges are golden and center is set. This may take a few minutes shorter or longer, depending on your oven.  Remove from oven and let sit about 10 minutes before serving the pudding warm. 

Optional:  Mix the ¼ cup sugar and cinnamon together.   Serve hot or cold, with milk or half-and-half and the cinnamon sugar, if desired.  Fresh or canned fruit also makes a nice addition to the service.

Makes 6-8 servings.



Cook the dry oatmeal in the milk until thickened, about 3 minutes.  Let cool  a few minutes.

Combine the cooked oatmeal, cottage cheese, eggs, milk, sugar and spices together.  

You can do the mixing with a whisk or use your electric mixer.  The mixture should be quite smooth with no large lumps of oatmeal or cottage cheese.  

Place the mixture in a greased or pan-sprayed casserole dish.  Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for about 1 hour.

Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving hot.  The pudding can also be served cold but my favourite way is warm.  

 Prepare the fruit and cinnamon sugar while the pudding is cooling.

If desired, serve the pudding with a little milk or cream, a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar and a few pieces of fruit.
 
A good start to a great day.

 A nutritious, but delicious, start to your Christmas Day celebrations.

Comments

Popular Posts